Facebook annual F8 keynote in california, announcements for coming year, covering everything from app redesign to VR Headset .
What was announced?
Social media giant has big on VR as next big computing platform. The Oculus Quest headset built in movement tracking and PC- tethered Oculus Rift S Will be available on May 21st, both for the price of $399.
The future is private, “CEO Mark Zuckerberg” told
Redesign of Facebook
- News Feed more
- Amplify fake News and acts of terror
- Importance to favour updates from family and friends.
- Zuckerberg said FB5 the biggest change to facebook app and website since it took its app native five years ago and even the facebook icon received a touch up.
FB5 includes a redesigned groups tab with a personalized feed of activity from groups.
Relevant group will also appear in other areas throughout facebook, including ecommerce destination MarketPlace, local news feature and video, facebook watch and social network gaming tab.
Groups will appear in news feed and people will be able to share content directly to their groups.
Other new feature ability ti ship Marketplace item anywhere in U.S and to pay for those purchase directly via facebook.
Facebook announced fully revamped messenger experience for android and IOS. which wll be leaner and faster Facebook messenger on IOS much leaner in fact at less than 30MB.
There will be a way to designate for “close friends” on the app, creating more personalized spaces and share.
Finally, Facebook Messenger will be available as a desktop app for Windows and macOS later this year.
Facebook Dating With Secret Crush
Last year, Facebook announced a dating service. This year, the service is called as “Secret Crush“.Dating service can add select friends to a “secret” list, and if another user reciprocates by adding you to their ,Facebook will notify both.
Facebook Dating is currently live in Colombia, Thailand, Canada,Argentina and Mexico . It expanded to 14 new countries Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay, Guyana, and Suriname.
Improvements for Instagram
- Able to shop inspiring looks from the creator you love without leaving Instagram. Instead of taking snapshot and asking you directly swipe up and buy it. Example: Adidas, Puma, Reebok, Nike.
- Instagram influencers to generate revenue from their post, by providing them with more direct connection to brand promotions.
- Adding an option for users to raise money and awareness for nonprofits they care about via donation sticker in stories.
- Instagram is testing a system that will almost entirely hide likes on a person’s feed, so you can “focus on the photos and videos you share, not how many likes they get.” The feature will get a trial run in Canada.
WhatsApp Business getting product catalogues soon. Product catalogues help out those businesses that do not have a website and Facebook aims to help these businesses out with this new addition.
WhatsApp users will now be able to to see the product catalogues when they connect with the business on the platform.
Started beta testing its UPI-based payments system in India last year and this integrated payments system has already garnered over 1 million active users. However, Facebook is yet to roll out WhatsApp Pay in India officially. Zuckerberg announced at F8 that WhatsApp Pay would soon get a stable release and that they would be introducing the system in the global market.